- ❤ -
1. Toe GripAn exercise that strengthens the foot muscles to improve balance. (you can even do it standing at your height adjustable table at work)
- Take a sock or a cloth and drop it on the floor.
- Use your toes to grip and lift it off the floor. Hold for 10 seconds, then release.
- Repeat five times with each foot.
2. Foot RollAn exercise that strengthens the ankle and foot muscles. (easy to do at work as well)
- Grab a small, hard ball, such as a tennis, lacrosse, or golf ball. Stand near a wall for balance.
- Place the ball under your foot.
- Roll the ball up and down your foot, focusing on the arch. Control the intensity by shifting your weight.
- Roll for one minute per foot.
3. Flying Eagle
An exercise that strengthens your glutes and core and promotes better balance.
- Use a resistance band.
- Grab the ends with each of your hands with your arms along your sides and your palms facing your body.
- Then place your left foot in the center of band on the floor. Your foot should be turned about 45 degrees to the left.
- Bend your left knee slightly, and extend your right leg straight out behind you with your right toes pointed and touching the ground.
- Keeping your shoulders stacked over your hips and your elbows locked, pull the ends of the band out to the sides and up toward the ceiling as you simultaneously engage your glutes and lift your right foot straight up behind you.
- Release your back leg to touch your toes back to the ground as you bring the ends of the band back down to your sides.
- 10-15 repetitions. Do two sets.
4. High Heel Lifts
An exercise that improves your posture and balance while building strength in your ankles and calves.
- Stand up straight with your heels together and your toes facing outward.
- Grab a resistance band and tightly wrap one end around each hand.
- Holding the band taut and parallel to the ground, extend both your arms and bring the band up to shoulder-height.
- From this position, pull the band out to the sides as you lift both heels up off the ground.
- Lower your heels to the ground with control as you bring your arms back together.
- Repeat 20-30 times.
5. Shin and ankle stretch
An exercise that stretches to prevent Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain/heel spur)
- Sit down on a chair or bench. Bend your left leg and place your left ankle on your right knee.
- Hold onto your left toes with your left hand and gently press your left toes to the right, so your foot is in a pointing position. Stay here for a few seconds.
- Then use your hand to pull your left toes to the left, flexing your foot.
- Repeat this stretch 10 times and then do it with the other foot. Complete this stretch at least three times a day to experience the full benefits.